Chosen Name FAQ


The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District recognizes that some students may use first names other than their legal names to identify themselves. Thus, Chabot College students are permitted to use a chosen first name on District-related unofficial documents and records where the use of the legal name is not required by law. Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding the use of chosen first name at Chabot College.

Frequently Asked Questions

A name that a person can designate on District-related unofficial documents and records in place of the person’s legal name and in furtherance of their identity. It is the name that the person uses to identify themselves, and is different from the person’s legal name.

To make any changes to your personal information including your chosen first name, simply submit a Student Information Change Form to from your secure ZoneMail email. 

Your chosen first name will be displayed on class rosters and your class schedule and in certain online systems including Canvas, CLASS-Web, DegreeWorks, and SARS.

Your legal name will be displayed on official documents (e.g., official transcripts, financial aid documents, W2/W4, etc.) and in the Student Information System (SIS).

If you completed a legal name change through the court system and would like to update your information at the College, submit a Student Information Change Form to from your secure ZoneMail email. Be sure to include proof of your legal name change. Proof may consist of a copy of your driver's license, government-issued ID card, marriage certificate, or any other court/government document showing your legal name change.