Scan QR to go to the web version of this page

Transfer FAQ


1. How many units do I need to transfer? 

  1. The UC and CSU grant highest priority for transfer admission to junior-level California community college applicants with 60 semester (90 quarter) units.
  2. Due to cuts in enrollment budgets, many CSU and UC campuses limits enrollment of or does not admit lower division (freshman and sophomore) transfer students.
  3. UC requires 60 semester (90 quarter) UC-transferable units for upper division transfer.
  4. CSU grants junior standing once a student completes at least 60 transferable semester units.
  5. Private colleges and universities often accept students with fewer than 60 semester units. Please check the minimum unit requirements for transfer in the catalog or website of the private college or university of your choice.

2. What is the difference between the California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC)?

California has two public university systems.
The CSU system:

  1. Currently has 23 campuses.
  2. Grants the most bachelor degrees among the higher education segments in California.
  3. Focus of study is considered the more practical, career-oriented of the two systems.
  4. Grants bachelor, master and doctorate degrees in conjunction with UC.

The UC system:

  1. Currently 10 campuses. However, UC San Francisco is a professional school only.
  2. Focus of study is more theoretical and research-oriented.
  3. Grants professional, bachelor, master and doctorate degrees. 

3. What is ASSIST? is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California. This is an essential tool for transfer planning.

4. What courses should I take before I transfer?

For most students who intend to transfer as juniors, it is important to take basic general education courses. However, in some cases it is more important to complete courses for the major.

Connect with your Counselor to determine the proper lower division major courses to take.

5. How do I find out about transfer and major requirements for my school?

Check in with your Counselor each semester to assure you are meeting the requirements and are on track to transfer. Additionally, attend the transfer application workshops offered by the Transfer Center.
Connect with your Counselor.

Chabot College has articulation agreements with UC, CSU, and some private universities. Articulated courses and requirements are available at the General Education & Transfer Patterns webpage.

6. What GPA do I need to transfer?

There is a difference between eligibility and acceptance.

The minimum GPA required to be eligible for CSU admissions consideration is 2.0 and for UC, is 2.4.
However, meeting the minimum does not mean acceptance as there may be higher GPA requirements for particular majors.

Students are encouraged to:

  1. Maintain the highest of grades.
  2. Work closely with your Counselor particularly when applying to competitive universities or programs.
  3. Register to the Psychology Counseling 15: Study Skills course.

7. How do I apply to a 4-year college or university?

Check in with your Counselor each semester to assure you are meeting the requirements and are on track to transfer. There are transfer application resources and transfer application workshops offered by the Transfer Center. Connect with your Counselor.

Applying to CSU

  1. Apply at CalState Apply.
  2. Check the priority filing period for when applications are being accepted.
  3. Admission essay is not required. There may be supplemental applications based on the major.

Applying to UC

  1. Apply at UC Apply.
  2. Students generally apply one year in advance.
  3. Short, written responses to four Personal Insight Questions are part of the application processhere . There may be a supplemental application based on the major.

Applying to private and out-of-state universities

  1. Check the specific university's website or call the admissions office.
  2. Some universities may accept the Common Application.


More FAQ

 8. What does the term "transfer" mean?

Transfer describes a student's academic advancement from a community college to a university

9. How long will it take to finish once I transfer?

The amount of time to finish will be a result determined by the number of requirements you complete prior to transfer, the number of requirements remaining to be completed, and the number of units you complete each term. If a student completes all of the GE and lower division major requirements, and a total of 60 transferable semester units, and continues at the transfer institution full-time, the student should be able to graduate in two years.

10. How can I meet with a college representative?

Representatives from many colleges visit the Career Transfer Center in building 700, 2nd fl. View the Transfer Events Calendar.

11. What is CSU GE or IGETC?

GE or General Education is a program of courses that provides a broad educational experience. Courses are usually introductory in nature and provide students with fundamental skills and knowledge in English, arts, humanities, mathematics, social sciences, physical and biological sciences.

IGETC or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum is a general education program that community college students can use to satisfy lower division general education requirements at any CSU or UC campus.

Students who are planning to transfer to a CSU may want to complete the CSU GE pattern instead. Completion of IGETC is one option for students to use when preparing for transfer. It is not the only option and for some majors, such as engineering and science, may not be recommended. Completing IGETC is not a requirement for transfer to either the CSU or the UC.

View the Transfer Center webpage for additional info.

12. Do I need an Associates degree to transfer?

No, it is not required for transfer. Some students earn an Associates degree along the way while others do not. It is advisable to meet with a counselor to discuss options.

13. Can I transfer as an undeclared major?

In general, very few CSU and UC campuses allow transfer students to apply as "undeclared".
Most campuses require transfer applicants to declare a major at the time of application. Students interested in an impacted program or selective major at the CSU or UC must apply to the major. Transfer admission policies will vary by campus for independent and out-of-state colleges and universities. Contact the admissions office of the transfer institution of your choice for more information about applying as "undeclared".
For students who need guidance about selecting a major, Psychology Counseling (PSCN) 10: Career Exploration course is recommended.

14. Can I change my major after I transfer?

The ability to change a major completely depends on the rules governing major changes at the college or university that a student will be attending.

15. How do I make myself a competitive applicant?

Students are encouraged to go beyond the minimum requirements for transfer. Not only should students try to maintain a competitive GPA but universities will also look at rigorousness of academic courses selected. UC's will also review the students' personal statements and extra-curricular involvement (leadership, volunteer, work, etc.) First preference is given to upper division transfer students from CA Community Colleges.

16. What is a UC TAG?

A UC TAG is a Transfer Admission Guarantee to one of the University of California (UC) campuses. Visit the TAG website or attend a TAG workshop sponsored by the Transfer Center to learn about TAG your way in to the UC!

17. What is a AA-T/AS-T?

The Associate in Arts for Transfer(AA-T) and the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) are programs intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU.

Getting an AA-T or an AS-T degree makes it easy to transfer from a California community college into the CSU system. Learn more about CSU transfer degrees.

Students are eligible to receive an Associate in Arts for Transfer or Associate in Science for Transfer after they have successfully completed 60 CSU transferable units with a grade point average of 2.0 or better and have completed either the CSU General Education Breadth (CSU-GE) or the CSU Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and completed with a letter grade of “C” or better on all required major courses as listed for their chosen major.

18. I already have one bachelors degree. Can I transfer and get another one?

You must contact each campus to determine their policy on receiving a second Bachelor's.

19. What is certification and why is it important for transferring students?

Certification of CSU GE or IGETC is important in the transfer process. All California State Universities accept a common pattern of general education. The certification of GE is the official notice verifying that a transfer student has completed courses satisfying lower division general education requirements. Students may request Admissions and Records at Chabot for Certification of CSU GE or IGETC. The request for certification of CSU GE or IGETC is done at the time you request transcripts be sent to the university (the university has selected you and you have selected the university).



20. I got bad grades at another college. Do I need to inform my transfer college?

Yes. You are required to report all previous institutions that you have attended, and you don't want to provide false information since that could potentially revoke your admission or degree.

21. Do Credit/No Credit (Pass/No Pass) grades transfer?

Varies by campus and specific course.  See a counselor for details.

22. Do "D" grades transfer?

"D" grades cannot be used for IGETC, and not for some or all areas of General Education depending on the university, and not for the major. You will probably want to repeat "D" grades to improve your GPA.

23. How do "W's" affect transferability?

In most cases, W's are not a focus of admission decisions unless there is an excessive number of W's over a longer course of time.