HBCU Transfer Agreement

Transfer Agreements with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)



In an agreement signed March 17, 2015 between the California Community Colleges and several HBCUs, California community college transfer students  who meet specific requirements with a GPA of 2.0 or higher (Some partner HBCUs require a higher GPA) and, either an AA-T/AS-T or completion of 30 transferrable semester units, are guaranteed transfer admission to participating HBCU partner schools.

Students who qualify for this guarantee also receive an application fee waiver code when using the Common Black College Application to apply to the partner HBCU (four max).

HBCUs were established primarily to serve the higher education needs of the Black community, however they are open to students of all ethnicities. There are more than 100 HBCUs in the country, with most located in the South and on the East Coast.

There are just over 100 HBCUs recognized by the US Dept. of Education that include public, private, denominational, liberal arts, land-grant, independent university systems, single-gender serving, researched-based that award Bachelor’s Degrees, Graduate/Masters/Professional Degrees, and Doctoral Degrees offering competitive tuition rates.  

The majority of classes at HBCUs are smaller and are taught by professors rather than teaching assistants, in a nurturing and supportive environment.


  1. Explore HBCU Transfer Guarantee and start on step 1 on the HBCU Transfer for Students to complete the program application. 
  2. Meet with your counselor to review transfer options; partner with your prospective HBCUs to develop an educational plan that bests meets your goals and needs.
  3. When it is time to seek the guarantee, you and your counselor will complete the appropriate HBCU Transfer Guarantee Form.
  4. Some HBCUs award up to $5,000 to students who transfer from a California Community College to eligible partner HBCUs. Please review Student Eligibility, HBCU Eligibility, the List of HBCUs who offer this award, submit your FAFSA or CADAA, as well as the Cal-HBCU Transfer Grant Program Application for consideration. Details are found on the CSAC Cal-HBCU Transfer Grant Program page.


 View transfer trends at CCC to HBCU TRANSFER DASHBOARD


Contact Transfer Counselor/Instructor Frances Fon at ffon@chabotcollege.edu.